Thursday, March 5, 2015

Hilo Waterfalls Feb 22


After about 2300 miles of sailing, the ship entered Hilo Bay on Feb 22.  On the map (from internet), Hilo Bay is the little inlet on the northeast coast.  I had decided not to see the volcano area because I had already seen it and after a while, all black lava looks pretty much alike. 


Instead we had a tour which began with some waterfalls, a bit to the northwest of Hilo Bay. The second and third images are of the Akaka waterfall. (on images taken by me, you can get a bigger picture by clicking once and an even bigger picture by clicking twice; this also works on some of the other images). It was a pretty good hike from where the picture of Ann was taken to where the photo of me was taken (too many stairs for her). The waterfall is over 420'. At the area near where my image was taken, there was a small cat. Cats are said to be all over the Islands but that was the only one I saw during the trip.

 
After Akaka falls, there is another waterfall near by and I went near it (image is from the internet). It is also about 400' and called Kahuna Falls. By an odd coincidence, Kahuna means 'priest' (or important spiritual expert) in Hawaiian and means 'High Priest' in biblical Hebrew.                                .

No comments:

Post a Comment